Monday, May 05, 2014

Steel posts... Garden... Choices...



Good Morning Peeps…

The day started out with a fog here today… looks like the sun is trying to burn it’s way through…

I actually did get through part of my list yesterday… I drove in 7 steel posts… and planted onions and beets. I planted the onions and beets in circles around the little trees I had already planted… thinking I am going to encircle the beets with the onion sets I have left… then do carrots after that… I am trying to do some companion planting… onions… beets… carrots… are supposed to complement each other… may put a circle of flowers too…

There is no technical reason for the circles… except I thought… hmmmm think I’ll try this… and no they are not perfect circles… they just are what they are… kinda like me… hehehe…

The baby ducks and geese are doing good… really growing fast… I will post some more pics in the coming days… when I talk to the baby geese… they coming running to me… what can I say… they make me smile… I love watching them eat the field grass I’ve been harvesting and putting in for them… yes they have mash too… flock raiser… and of course water… water… and more water…. Both the baby ducks and geese are going to need more space soon…

I got garden shop happy yesterday… there are now 6 raspberries… 3 dwarf apple trees… 12 strawberries… lavender… Yukon gold potatoes… 4 black berries … 6 rosa rugosa… 2 kinds of sweet potatoes… 2 rhubarb… I do believe I am going to be digging in the dirt… I am going to sort out where I am planting … and keep working on the garden area… I have some field fencing I could make into supports for the berries … hmmm… I hope it all grows… but if not… then at least I tried… ya know…

On a bright note… I noticed little leaves just starting to come out on the native plums I planted earlier… the mulberries look good… but I cannot really tell what is happening with them yet… I had set out 8 native plums and 8 mulberries… these were dormant when set out.

Oh yeah I almost forgot.. there are 3 varieties of heritage corn coming… an aztec black… a red… they called it bloody something… and a hopi blue…

Need to look more into the companion planting stuff… from what I understand … raspberries and potatoes do not get along… they don’t like peppers either… and something else… I’ll have to look again… you know I used to have such a wonderful memory… used to be all I had to do was look at something and I had it… aw well… getting stressed about it is not going to make it better… perhaps planting… and weeding… and digging in the dirt will help to balance and focus… memories and triggers were sure boiling to the surface yesterday as I dug my circles in the ground… placed the onion sets and spread the beet seed… I’ve always thought beet seed looked so cool…

Planted some Detroit dark red beets… some that are yellow inside… and some that are white inside with red rings… I have this vision in my minds eye of what it will look like when the onions are up and growing and the beet tops are in full foliage… then carrots … and so on… should look … kinda cool… or a total bloody mess… I don’t know… but I am doing it anyway…

Yesterday I ranged from at peace… to all out war inside… I stopped what I was doing and just looked out across the range… it was so beautiful… I could hear the meadowlarks… the wind was just a breeze… rather than a howling banshee… it was calm and so peaceful… and here was this war blasting through my mind… emotions storming… ied’s going off as I dug another row… or pounded in another steel post… lifting the driver up and slamming it down driving the posts in to the desired depth… listening to the rhythm of the driver hitting the posts… massive sense of accomplishment as I drove each one in… there was a time not so long ago that my body was so compromised that I could not lift that driver…

Flipped from accomplishment… to missing my husband… and back again… swing swing swing… whoo hoo…

There was a thought forming… a realization so to speak… forming throughout the day and I went back and forth from appreciating the beauty of the rangeland… to absolute chaos and internal war… searing pain… and total rage… It does not matter where you are… in the middle of a war zone… literally… the largest bustling city on the planet (yes I have lived in the cities) … or out on the rangeland… you can be swept up in war… or walking in peace in any surroundings… that peace… is internal… it is a choice…

Sounds simple… oh let us just make a choice and it’s all done… wouldn’t that be grand… yeah… does not work that way… it is a moment by moment choice… a process… kind of like forgiving someone… whether it is yourself or someone else… it is not an emotion… it is a choice… does not change the circumstances… does not invalidate what happened … or validate what happened… does not make good into bad… or bad into good… what happened … happened… it just is what it is… there is no changing that…

What the choice is about is how we process… how we deal with whatever… it is about choosing to let go… choosing internal peace… choosing to set yourself free…

Sounds so simple… in some ways I suppose it is… just breathe… ok I can do that… take another breath… feel the air fill your lungs… focus on the sensation… and let it go… exhale…

One breath… one step at a time…

May you walk in peace…


Mary E. Robbins
facebook
twitter

No comments:

'Daily Affirmation' Video