Saturday, May 17, 2014

May 15th 2014... Celebrate the little victories...



Good Morning Peeps…

Gratitudes… a realization … a hot bath …. a blow-dry…

It’s 36F (3C) degrees here this fine sunny morning…

I am happy to be able to say that the baby ducks & geese were fine yesterday when I checked on them… I was concerned that they may have piled up on top of each other when the power went off and suffocated some… but nope… they were ok… put down some more straw… dirty little buggers… took their water/wading pans out washed them and refilled them… gave them some more flock raiser… and pulled a bunch of grass for them to eat…

I am going to have to increase the size of their living area again very soon… it won’t be very long until they can be outside running around…

Moved the drakes out of their fattening pen to a large grass filled yard… they were happy quackers… exploring and eating grass… they were not supposed to be in that small yard very long… but it did not work out the way we had planned… so they are still here… quacking and eating…

Heard the rooster pheasant calling this morning as I ran the Pominators and mastiffs outside to do their business… I am thinking there’s more than one living in this hollow with us… heard a call to the west then another to the east…

I just stood there for a moment listening… my face up to the sun… soaking in it’s light in the brisk morning air… thankful for it’s light bathing my face…

The mail man brought a package from gurney’s seed yesterday… had 6 raspberry plants and 25 strawberry plants in it… I soaked them and planted them… so far this season I have planted 8 native plum… 8 mulberry… 6 raspberry… 25 strawberry… some beets and onions… there are still 3 dwarf apple trees… 4 black berry and 4 or 6 rosa rugosa coming… can’t remember off the top of my head…

There are potatoes, sweet potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, and rhubarb ordered as well… and 2 lavender plants in the frig waiting to be planted… I haven’t quite figured where to put the lavender yet or it would already be planted…

If these all survive and thrive… it will be a wonderful little orchard… and garden area…

I want to get some tomato plants, pepper plants, a few cabbage, flowering kale, and set them out… have not made it into town yet though… I have my cucumber seeds and other garden seeds… want everything set out before the end of May… although as crazy as this weather has been… I am wondering…

The DR mower is not up and running yet… the fuel pump came in… but of course the configuration just has to be a bit different… so we need a bit more fuel line.

Pulled some more of that plastic cover from the destroyed greenhouse out of the ground yesterday… rolled it up and took it to the dumpster… my friend’s dog did not freak out this time… I looked more like me… dressed in bibs and covered in mud… lol… I’m kinda excited about getting that greenhouse rebuilt and up and running… trying to not get too excited in case it just does not happen… but ya know… it kinda looks like it is going to… that makes me smile…

I realized something yesterday as I was out digging in the dirt… digging in the dirt is good for me as a whole person… makes me a very sore puppy … but is good for me anyway… that is not what I realized… I was out there measuring out where I wanted to put those raspberry plants… how far from the mulberries… where the trellis would be positioned etc… and this huge thunder cloud came rolling by… yes it was rolling… and thundering… and generally having a full on rock and roll party in the sky… then even the tiniest breeze stopped… like it was holding it’s breath… and all of a sudden here comes a gust of wind…

The cloud was north of me… and looked like it was going northeast… I nearly ran for the house… or walked quickly … still not running much at this weight… then I stopped and said enough… I love the rumble of thunder… and the freshness of the air as it blows through the rain… and yes it did sprinkle on me a couple of times yesterday…

I thought stop… just stop… you are reacting in fear… letting fear steal the joy from your day… just let it go… no I was not being foolish… that cloud was still a bit away from my place and I could get to the Quonset if need be… if it turned out to be something nasty… rolling and rumbling along… as in twisting… or hail…

The point is … the fear receded and I felt free the rest of the day… I finished digging my holes for the raspberries… mixed in compost with the soil… set the rows for the strawberries… giving them space for growth and spread… mixed in compost… planted and mulched them… the ground was already wet from the previous snows and rains… so watering was not an issue… yes the compost was wet as well…

Fear can be such a thief… slipping in and stealing away the zest of life… sometimes taking everything … coming in the guise of anxiety tightening your chest until it literally squeezes the breath from your lungs… yes that happened yesterday morning…on the way to the duck house actually… but yesterday afternoon… listening to the thunder roll… setting it aside and planting those raspberries… that… that was a victory… that was a small step towards freedom… my friend says do not be afraid…just let it go… easier said than done… but I think just maybe… probably not all at once… but moments at a time… perhaps… just perhaps… I can let it go… set it aside and be free… even if just for a moment…

Even if just for the time to take a hot bath and blow dry my hair… yes I did that …took a hot bath and blew dry my hair… when I came in the house… covered in mud and goat coral compost…

It felt really good to be free… so many of us carry our own invisible prisons with us…

Ok… on today’s list… take care of baby ducks and geese… gather eggs… watch for mailman… he may have more plants to set out… drive some steel posts… or tie up fencing… not sure which yet… may tie up the east side of the surround the posts are all in place there… pull some more plastic out of the ground and roll it up… check feed and water on the dog runs… Oxycise and tai-cheng… if I do not do those before I head out they will not get done… need to fix an issue with my work boots… take vitamins… want to do some reading as well… wanted to last night but fell asleep in the chair… oh yeah… put some oil on the lug nuts on the old cars wheels… trying to make it so we can get the wheels off …

Don’t know about getting through it all … but I am going to go for it…

May you walk free….

Later taters…


Mary E. Robbins
facebook
twitter

No comments:

'Daily Affirmation' Video