Sunday, October 13, 2013

dawn is breaking... animals... memories... maxwell house





Another day has dawned in all it glory… pinks greens golds spreading across the sky dancing from cloud to cloud… celebrating the rising of the sun and a new day…

Tis a calm morning that dawns this day… no wind blowing… makes the 40 degree temps seem warm. Perhaps I am already acclimating to the cooler temps.

The house hairballs have already been out and about to do their morning’s business… yes both mastiffs and Pominators… and are back inside… I’d left Sara and Diesel outside in the lower yard which surrounds the front and east side of the house… the kitchen window looks out into the lower yard. I was in the kitchen making coffee and toast and looked out the window… and there sat Diesel and Sara… side by side…looking in the window…as if to say… we are done… can we come back inside now… written all over their faces… yes they are back inside… they made it to the front door before I could and were waiting there for me …

Naughty Miss Molly … yes the same one I was looking and looking for the other day, until I drove away and came back honking the horn and she came running to the yard gate to greet me… anyway…

Naughty Miss Molly… sounded the alarm this morning… at first I did not see what she was after… mind you the light was just breaking on the eastern horizon… I thought she was going after the shitty kitties again… Larry, Curly, and Mo- their kitty kennel is in the lower yard … but no it wasn’t them she was after yip yapping at them through their fence… then I thought … seriously … a snake in 40 degree temps… but it wasn’t a snake either… although on first glance I thought it was a small snake curled up not moving… I got closer and it was some kind of patterned lizard 6 to 8 inches long. I’d wager that little fellow was stiff in the cooler temps. I slid a hoe under him and he just sat there as I set him outside the fence perimeter… before he had a myriad of pominator bites.

That little fellow was the first one of those I’ve seen here… no I don’t know if it was a male or a female… one of those… meaning a lizard of any kind.

Of course the quackers heard/saw me in the lower yard… they are in the mid yard for now… anyway they started calling… three guesses who want’s breakfast… yes you guessed it… the quackerjacks… ducks of course…

Actually this morning I’ll be checking everyone’s feed and water pans… making sure they have feed and fresh water. Thinking of moving the ducks over to the chicken run… get them used to going into the shed … seems a shame to run them off the new grass growth though… yes the chickens have decimated it in their yards… destructo birds…

I would like to have a perimeter fence around the hollow… so the birds … ducks, chickens…eventually perhaps turkeys and geese … could roam all around here without being picked off by the coyotes… aw well… perhaps eventually… had planned on building that fence together with David.

He had wanted to raise some hogs and goats out here too… he used to talk about it all the time. He loved having those animals. He was so proud of his hogs and goats… calves… and lambs when we had them before. He was proud of our Pomeranians too… he was proud of me as well…

I don’t mean proud in a braggart kind of way… but as in he was happy and proud… we enjoyed our livestock and each other. I am thankful for the 22 years we had together… but I sure miss him. We were each other’s hearts…


David watching kittens...
Larry, Curly, and Mo ... the kittens David was watching...
David and Mo... Two gentle souls...

Memories of moments together flooding through my mind… time on the trains… standing in a draw waiting for another train to go by and do a roll-by… David in the back yard in town… building the yard fence… happy with how it was turning out… David with his hogs… the boar stealing his apple… David with the dairy goats… no shirt on… nanny goat pulling the hairs on his back…David giving jelly beans to the nanny goats as treats… David with Bosco (boxer- has passed on as well)…David with the PT cruiser… David driving us back from Denver after we got out of the city… David with his hand on my back protecting me as we crossed the street…David bringing firewood into the house… David telling railroad … hunting… and fishing stories… David and our young Holstein heifer (Daisy Mae) that thought she was a dog… she has passed on too… David and Mini Tatanka… he would say come to daddy… you’re daddy’s girl aren’t you… and they would sit in the recliner together… David showing up with red roses on our very first date… red roses for me… David standing out in the yards here looking up at the night sky in wonder at it’s beauty… David scuffing his feet in his slippers coming up behind me… asking are you hungry… wanting some breakfast… David and his percolator coffee pot… David and that red jeep… David coming home from the train in the ford… I could see the lights across the cab and the headlights and I knew it was him before he ever turned into our drive… David in the garden… David trying to protect me from the cruelty of others… He was not a cruel person and never understood the cruelty of others… David hauling hay… David walking ahead of me in the train yards… I can still see his shoulders and the back of his neck as he walked along ahead of me there so many years ago… still have that denim jacket he was wearing… the pocket watch he was wearing the night he died is hanging on my desk… along with his wedding ring… waiting for him… I am waiting for him too… waiting for the day that I have the release to cross over and join him on the other side…

Ok taking a breath… now another…

Saw an eagle sitting on a fencepost on my way into town yesterday… not sure if it was a golden eagle or a younger bald eagle… was wishing I’d had a camera with me as I drove by it… was a beautiful sight…

My coffee cup is empty… yes I made the coffee with David’s percolator … not with his Folgers though… that was his brand… I am more of a Maxwell house girl… although I drank Folgers for the past 22 years because he preferred it… and frankly I loved to see him smile. I loved to see joy light up his eyes… hazel eyes with shades of green, brown, grey, blue, and gold… smiling hazel eyes…

What’s that song… Those Irish Eyes are Smiling…

May you walk in peace…

Mary E. Robbins
facebook
twitter 

 Gratitudes: Hot coffee... got to see a lizard in my yard... did not step on said lizard... friends~ no matter how much physical distance separates us...







No comments:

'Daily Affirmation' Video