Monday, October 14, 2013

Ha! I did it!








Ha! I did it… I made it home over that muddy greasy… slippery road… without putting the jeep in 4 wheel drive. I turned the overdrive off… and took it slow to see if I could make it… I made it… I made it… nah nah nah… I made it… without going in the ditch…


I stopped and fueled the jeep before leaving town to come home… and picked up a couple of those 70 pound sand weights and put them in the back of the jeep for added traction weight. I think they actually helped.

I have decent tires on the jeep… not the mud boggers like what’s on the truck but decent tires. I love my old truck… she will go through just about any mud mess… but geez she does guzzle the fuel…that’s why I’ve been going for it in the jeep…

This little episode is a huge deal for me… since sliding on a clay…gravel…muddy… or whatever road tends to trigger panic attacks…. Couple it with it getting dark and it can be … shall we say a bit hairy… understatement of the year! I got pretty tense… but just slowed way down… much slower and I would have been stopped… but I got through it… yes I did… happy dance… happy dance…

That sliding sensation triggers back to when I was in a car wreck on a bridge over an irrigation canal on a gravel road and had half my face ripped off… you know I had no fear… none what so ever in a vehicle before that happened… after that… geez… seriously… is there a switch somewhere that I can flip to just turn this stuff off… no… well that figures… ppppphhhhtttttt…..

EEEwwwww…. Just thinking about that wreck and I can feel the car sliding sideways as the driver tried to miss an oncoming car in the middle of the bridge… he tried to take the ditchrider’s road along the side of the canal… and couldn’t make it… we went sliding into the end of the bridge railing… it popped up and came through the car taking half my face off with it as it went through… slowing the car a bit as the car smashed into the opposite side of the canal… the car dropped to the bottom of the canal and compressed… crushing the driver’s lungs… wedging me between the front and back seats on the floor with my knees jammed into the floorboards… hello damaged knees… the driver was pinned by the steering wheel… he survived… still has issues with his lungs… to my knowledge… the other two people in the car came away with one minor cut and some bruises… I had on a blue and white checked seersucker top on and white denim jeans… funny how one remembers such things…

I remember there was blood running down my front on my shirt and jeans… I thought I had a bloody nose and put my hands up to try and stop it and put my fingers through where my face was supposed to be… I remember thinking my mom was going to be mad because I wasn’t where I was supposed to be… I was 14 years old…

I lost so much blood that my vision faded to black… and I felt like I was just floating away in that beautiful black… so beautiful… so peaceful… then I heard the emt … seemed like he was yelling but sounded so far away… we were in the ambulance… and suddenly the beautiful black that had been so peaceful was gone and I was rocketing down the road in an ambulance to the hospital… and I could see again… the rest of that trip is kinda scrambled…

Ah… my coffee cup is empty… and the Pominators are barking let me back in… let me back in… I ran them outside to do their business… so I’d best bring them back inside and give them all their snuggles… and check for pominator poo in their areas… yes I am the pominator poo clean up crew…

Get that done and refill my coffee cup… and perhaps wash that stack of dishes in the sink… you know I never appreciated that dishwasher I had when I lived in town… well maybe one day I’ll have one out here… then again maybe not… at any rate they need to be washed… although the temptation is to “drop” them in the trash… hehehehe….

I hear the wind picking up again... best move it...

Later taters…


Mary E. Robbins
facebook
twitter

No comments:

'Daily Affirmation' Video