Saturday, October 05, 2013

the day after the first blizzard of the season





Yay! I am back home... went mud bogging up the upper drive to get out... slip sliding along the dirt road to the highway... saw one car in the ditch on the way into town... people were already gone... had sections with snow drifted across... yes this is why I drive a 4 wheel drive jeep wrangler…. Or if totally nasty… my 1993 ford f150 pick up truck… with mud bogging tires on it…

by the time I headed back home the highway was totally dry... yay...other than where the melt runs across it... hwy 85 into lusk has been closed all day...

the wind caught me broadside and sent me skittering across the road on the way into town… yee haw… stayed out of the ditch…

the wind can be a bugger... but nothing is better than sunshine and wind to dry out a dirt road... the road from the hwy to my place was nearly dry when I came home… yay! It was a wet mess this morning... still huge mud hole by my mailbox... in my lower drive... picked up the mail... turned the jeep around and came in across the pasture next to the upper drive... mind you my driveways are just dirt trails across the pasture... one upper one lower... perhaps one day I'll get them graded and graveled... not for a while though... it's that green stuff ya know... green backs... no not tumble weeds... money...

checked the kennels… more branches down around them… I am not messing with any of the branches today… already tired… and that wind is seriously whipping around… good chance there will be more branches down before morning… wind is supposed to have died down by tomorrow…

there is water running everywhere around the lower yards… melt melt melt… the quackers (buff ducks) are all up under their tree next to the snow fence hanging out away from the winds… just heard something else crack and thump… probably another branch coming down…

ran the house hairballs outside… Pominators and mastiffs alike. I would wager they will be glad to get back in around sundown if not before… they can get out of the water and wind… give them some runaround time…

gonna go put my legs up for a bit then feed the big dogs … the Pominators all have feed… yay! Gotta check the ranch cat feed pan and see what’s in there… thinking I may just fill the pan inside their house in the enclosure… I’m thinking the wild critters are coming in and eating the other pan of feed…. Sorry critters… gonna have to go out and go hunting rather than eat my ranch cats’s feed…. Yeah I know… I’ll probably just keep filling that feeder up anyway… whatever is helping itself to that feed wouldn’t be coming in with all these dogs If it wasn’t really hungry…

I stopped the jeep at the top of the hill just before getting home and just stared out across the valley… so beautiful… yesterday I could see nothing but snow blowing… not even snow covered hills… it was blowing and snowing so hard I simply could not see… today… most of the snow has melted off… some on the higher bluffs… with the golds… deep browns of the earth… and greens of alfalfa and pasturelands showing in the late day sunshine… so beautiful…

Speaking of beautiful… on the way into town I came around a curve at the base of a hill… with a bit of a hollow there… and there stood this beautiful deer off the road in a little hollow … glad I was going slower than usual… I got a chance to take a good look… pretty sure there were several others lying down around the one standing… hey I said I was going slower… not that slow…

Day before yesterday I saw a couple of herds of antelope on the way into Cheyenne… one herd was just south of Torrington… Both were relatively small herds… the biggest herd I’ve ever seen was years back up by Douglas… there were hundreds of antelope in that herd…

Hungry… gonna go fix a bite to eat… thinking home fries, bacon, and eggs… yes I know breakfast for dinner… hey it works for me… plus it’s easy and quick… besides I seriously like potatoes…

Heading to the kitchen...later...

May you walk in peace...
Mary E. Robbins
facebook
twitter
deer
antelope

No comments:

'Daily Affirmation' Video