Sunday, June 28, 2015

September 29 2014








Monday morning on the high plains… not arid today… it started raining last night… quite the thunderstorm… flash…flash…rumble… crash… bang… repeat… repeat… repeat… rain… rain … rain… may not seem like much to some folks… but we got over an inch of rain… great for the rangelands and pastures… not so great for any hay that was down in the fields… as in most things in this life… a double edged sword…

Was great for my garden… I picked some tomatoes yesterday… the vines are full of green tomatoes… hoping the frost holds off until after they ripen…
Most of the work is done on the smoker… a bit more to do… bit more cutting on a barrel lid to put a door in… want to get a stove mat and put it on a pallet and bolt the smoker to the pallet… so I can move it about with a pallet jack… eventually I would like a cook shack… with mostly open sides… screened in of course… enough of the bugs… argh… for the smoker… chicken butchering… a grill… and so on… nothing fancy… just practical … that may or may not happen… but I like the idea…

That horrid fatigue finally lifted late yesterday afternoon… I don’t know what else to call it… other than fatigue… can’t think… coordination is just fried… grinds my functioning down to a halt… driving is a seriously bad idea in that state… reaction times and comprehension is way too slow… argh! I slept on and off for over 12 hours… did basic chores… tried to help with the smoker construction… probably got in the way more than helped… went out the garden and slowly started cutting weeds… just peaceful quiet… cutting one large weed at a time… occasionally looking for the nanny goats as they and Sammy were out grazing… eventually it started releasing… just calm… repetitive… clip clip… walk to the chicken yard fence… it is beside the garden area… drop over the weeds… clip clip… I was using loppers to cut off the weeds… the chickens were happy campers… looking around in the weeds for caterpillars and eating seeds and leaves…

I'll leave them piled in the big chicken yard until the seeds are all off them… the wild birds will be feeding off them for quite some time… the blackberries I’d planted are still alive… so are the dwarf apple trees… have not made it to the mulberries or plums yet… should be some beets and onions back under that forest of weeds as well… the Jerusalem artichokes have shot up over 6 feet tall and are blooming… I am hoping there are some potatoes under the tater plants… the rosa rugosa survived… so did my goji berries… be nice to actually be able to harvest some berries next year… or even have some set on… lol…

Most of these weeds are edible weeds… dock … I’d thought to harvest the seeds and make flour… but at this point I am thinking they will be wild bird feed instead… at least this year… I was able to harvest some leaves to go in my chicken… veggie… wild rice soup yesterday…
The wasps are dead from around the house… there were 8 active paper wasp nests on those eaves… that sting has taken on a life of its own… I thought the bentonite clay had taken care of it… and I do believe it helped… that thing blew up overnight… over 3 inches across a hot solid mass… it is smaller now… I put unkers salve on it most of the day yesterday… I am so glad that little bugger did not sting me on the neck… I would be in trouble with the swelling… I treated the Quonset and other outbuildings as well… little buggers were all over the place… I don’t like killing creatures… they have a place in the ecosystem like all creatures do… but this population explosion was just too dangerous for me and for my dogs… as well as for the goats…

Bought to mind an image… Shy Girl Goat…climbed to the top of the cement chunk pile… stood there looking so proud… queen of the mountain… lol…
Time is flying by... my stomach is growling… yes I am hungry… and seriously would like a hot soak this morning… before helping a friend… was a great gluteus maximus workout yesterday clipping those weeds… yes I am sore…
Later taters…
Gratitudes: fatigue has lifted… the rain… roof did not leak…

Mary E. Robbins
facebook

No comments:

'Daily Affirmation' Video