Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 3: AAArrrrGGGGHHHH!...Oh? It's Muscle...

It's week three weigh in day. I weighed in, and what did I see. That miserable scale did not budge. Yes my first impulse was to grab it and slam it against the wall in a full on temper tantrum. I resisted, I do not want to buy another scale. 300.5 - 0 = 300.5 phhhttt... still above 300 pounds.


I've logged all the calories, logged calorie expenditures, actually done the workouts, worked out until I could barely walk away from the stationary bikes.

I did the math and according to the figures I lost approximately 3.064 pounds of fat. Or rather I had a 10,724 calorie deficit for the week.  10,724 divided by 3500 (the number of calories in a pound of fat) equals 3.064 pounds of fat burned off.

OK, so what does this mean?  As far as I can tell, from the information I have at hand, this means that I have gained approximately 3.064 pounds of muscle.

This is why, or rather one of the main reasons why, I keep a food and exercise journal.  So I have a better idea of what is actually happening.

Yes I have been here before. Week 1 lose weight, week 2 lose weight, week three stay the same or bounce.  In the past it's always sent me spiraling out of control, or rather I've given up because what I thought was going to happen did not and I said "It doesn't work, why even try".

Not this time!  This time there is no second guessing. I  actually have the math to back up what I have actually done. Yay food and exercise journals.

I know there is increased muscle strength and endurance. That tells me I am building muscle. Which as frustrating as that scale not moving is, the muscle building is a very good thing for the long run.

Muscle weighs more than fat, it also burns more calories than fat does, and it gives me the strength and endurance to be able to do the activities I want to do. I can actually feel the muscles in my legs getting stronger, I can feel them in my abdominal region.

So what am I going to do? I am going to keep on keeping on. The scale may not

have budged, but I am still on target for where I want to be.

One day... one workout at a time.


Life is a journey, enjoy the trip.
Mary E. Robbins
307.788.0202

No comments:

'Daily Affirmation' Video