Thursday, May 03, 2007

Bright Sunny Day...I feel good...



Good Morning… and a great morning it is too. Moved the turkeys and geese out to the fowl house yesterday. Turned the pullets out again. They are too funny… it’s an adventure into the big wide world for those little white hens. At this point they are venturing out of their crate little by little… and roosting in their crate at night.


I put the goslings (baby geese) in an outside yard with unlimited water to play in yesterday. Unlimited as their pan automatically refills. Yesterday evening I went to the fowl house to put them inside for the night and was wondering on the way out if I was going to have to run after them. Not even… this was so cute. I called them “goot goot goot” and here they came running to me. I picked them up 2 at a time and took them inside as they chattered all the way in. Just a note… they are too cute right now… mostly down with little feathers puffing out all over the place… and not very big. Just a few pounds each. My small gaggle (flock of geese) are Toulouse Geese (named after a city in France). By fall the females should weigh 12 to 13 pounds and the males 18 to 20 pounds. They will be varying shades of gray. I didn’t get them to eat. I’m hoping that I have both males and females then we will have some goslings (baby geese) year after year. Just a note… never tease a goose. These birds pack quite a punch with their long necks and beaks when they are adults. I pulled this picture from McMurray Hatchery’s web page.


The Turkeys look pretty good today. I was concerned, they are actually as big as my leghorn pullets are … but not fully feathered. We have 10 turkeys now. A mixed group of Broad Breasted Bronze and Giant White. You do not want to tease these birds either… other than just being plain wrong. You will regret it greatly, The bronze range from 20 to 40 pounds with hens being on the smaller end of the weight range. The giant white range from 25 to 45 pounds respectively. I am looking forward to watching them grow up and forage around the fowl yards and front pasture.

Puppies are doing great… so are my young dogs. I plan to snap some photos of my happy hairballs today as well as starting on spring clean up today. Hello camera... hello rake. Hello broom... hello dog brush... I am so happy I actually feel good this morning. I'm sore and aching from working but feel good. It's been a long time. Had a couple of nasty allergy attacks this past week. Snatched my breath away in a hurry. It took a couple of days to get over each of them. I took zyrterc yesterday morning and used my advair... yesterday morning and last night... and I'm happy to say I'm breathing. And my lungs don't hurt. What a relief... It's a glorious day...

Washer just quit running... so I'm throwing the laundry in the dryer... starting another load... getting myself into a bath with some wonderful bath salts ... fixing brunch for my hubby and myself... biscuits and gravy today I think...

Life is a journey…enjoy the trip…. Mary E. Robbins & the Happy Hairballs
307-788-0202

No comments:

'Daily Affirmation' Video