Monday, September 19, 2011

Who is Forgiveness Really For?

I used to think forgiving someone meant that you had to embrace that person. It doesn’t mean that at all. I don’t think it’s an emotional thing at all… I think it’s a decision. I used to think that it was saying… Oh it’s ok… to whatever nasty thing someone said of did… I don’t believe that any more either. It’s not saying the words or behavior are ok at all. I used to think that it was for the other person… I no longer believe that either. It’s for you. It’s to release you from the toxic situation. It releases you from anger. Forgiveness releases you from whatever hateful cyclical situation that is going on, or has gone on.

This is a bit different than when someone asks you to forgive them. The forgiveness I am speaking about is when you forgive someone without them asking. It’s not anything the other person needs to know about at all. This is something within yourself, releasing you from the situation. It also removes whatever power they have over you. Because when you refuse to forgive, you empower the person/persons/situation. You give them power over you.

Forgiving them Frees You!

Life is a Journey... Enjoy the trip.
Mary E. Robbins
307.788.0202

No comments:

'Daily Affirmation' Video