Thursday, February 05, 2009

Happy Birthday To Me!

I saw the first blush of dawn on the eastern horizon this morning. This day I celebrate living 49 years. Give thanks for the years of life I have been blessed with and face the oncoming with joyous expectation.

Yes I actually do mean that. Major change from last year around this time. I was in a black hole of depression on a suicidal slide into pain racked oblivion.

So what made the change from then to now? It’s not so much the time that passed as it is a major change in mindset. There are still crisis’s, both minor and major that come rolling into my life to be dealt with.

Case in point: my mother took a header out of her power wheel chair and landed on her noggin. Beat her self up pretty badly, her neighbor found her and called me in a panic. Mom was on her way to the hospital in the ambulance. The neighbor was rather panicked, when she called me, I wasn’t sure whether mom would still be alive by the time I got to the hospital. It was a bit of a tense drive to be sure. My mother is on blood thinners so a head injury is extremely dangerous. (Yes she did survive, and is healing up nicely.)

Night before last David (my husband) put his hand on my shoulder in the middle of the night. Normally this would not wake me up, however his skin was cold and he was drenched in sweat. That means his blood sugar was dropping into very dangerous levels. Fortunately I woke up, and was able to raise his blood sugar before he was comatose. What if I had missed it? What if I hadn’t waked or he rolled the other way. Hello body bag, express way to a funeral.

Next major crisis, my youngest stepson, who just turned 29 years old, whom I love very much, has been diagnosed with Huntington’s. A nasty genetic disease that was in his biological mother’s bloodline. Huntington’s is a destructive life thief. It destroys your mind and body before it kills you in a very demeaning manner.

By the way, yes I do love all three of these people very much.

Of course there are more stressors, such as a fear mongering associate, grousing about the economy and government. What can I say; he made some poor financial decisions, now he has to deal with the consequences. Do I feel sorry for him, no I do not. Rather than leaning from his poor choices, he is spreading fear and strife.

As well as, a fear mongering neighbor. Going from ranch to ranch trying to spread fear and paranoia. As for the fear mongering neighbor, he can stay away from my ranch. I have no place in my life for those who deliberately strive to create strife.

Did I tell you all this for sympathy? No I did not, I told you to make a point. It is NOT the events, or stressors that come into your life that determine the quality of your life. It is your mindset in dealing with them.

I came to a realization. There is nothing I can do about how miserable other people choose to be. Yes it is a choice. I choose to live in peace within myself, to experience my joy, regardless of events surrounding me.

It’s your life, It’s your choice. What do you choose?

A couple of books I’ve found useful along these lines:
Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
by: Bryon Katie
The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life
by: Jeff Olson





My Life Resolution:
The Greatest Year of My Life
Live Life Now: appreciate each moment as it happens.
Live in Peace Within Myself.


Life is a journey, enjoy the trip.
Mary E. Robbins & the Hairballs
Robbins Run Ranch: Living the Dream With Our Pomeranians
Independent Beach Body Coach
307.788.0202
Decide Commit Succeed!

Turn Weight Loss into Profit!

Change your body, Change your health, and Change your Life!



1 comment:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!
Your attitude can be your best friend, or your worse enemy.
I'm glad to hear you have a best friend. :) Happy 49 + more to you.

'Daily Affirmation' Video